Framing Effect

Framing Effect

What is it?

Framing Effect is a bias that makes people make decisions based on the positive or negative connotation of information they are presented with

The framing effect is a cognitive bias where people's decisions and opinions are influenced by the way information is presented, rather than by the information itself. In other words, people can perceive the same information differently depending on how it is "framed" or described.

Here are two simple examples to help you understand the framing effect:

  1. Medical treatment options: Imagine your doctor presents you with two treatment options for a disease. They tell you that Option A has a 90% survival rate, while Option B has a 10% mortality rate. Although both options have the same statistical outcome, you might be more likely to choose Option A because it is framed in a positive way (survival), while Option B is framed negatively (mortality).

  2. Food choices: Suppose you're at a grocery store comparing two types of ground beef. One package is labeled as "85% lean," while the other is labeled as "15% fat." Even though both packages contain the same proportions of lean meat and fat, you might perceive the "85% lean" option as healthier because it is framed in a more positive way.

The framing effect occurs because people tend to focus on the positive or negative aspects of infor ...